Jesper M. Christensen

SharePoint and Security

Windows Phone 8 – Outlook sync error code: 80070057


My boss got a brand new Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows Phone 8 and was very happy about it – as I am also with mine. He got a problem though with synchronizing his Outlook account from Office 365 to this phone though. It worked on his HTC with Windows Phone 7.5 and also from an iPhone!

The error showed on the WP8 device was:

“We’re having a problem synching your information. Try again later. Last tried 2 seconds ago. Error code: 80070057″

After checking the device setup, deleting/adding the account and Microsoft Live ID and much more we found this Microsoft Knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2792112

It clearly was the same error – but we could not find a folder with this problem… After renaming quite a lot folders, we contacted the Office 365 support which helped us pinpoint the folder with the issue. This Microsoft knowledgebase article explains the steps you need to take to make and retrieve a log of the communication from the Windows Phone to the Exchange Server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2461792

It simply say that you log on the the Outlook Web Access, go into “Options”, “Show all Options” and to the “Phone” pane. Turn on logging for the Windows Phone device, try a sync.and click “Retrieve log” from the same page. Afterwards you will get an e-mail with the communication.

If you see a special char or CRLF (Carrige Return Line Feed – which means a new line) in the XML that lists the mailbox folders, then you need to rename this in Outlook Web Access to something else.

In my case the XML showed a line feed, as the </DisplayName> was pushed to a new line after the folder name “Kladder” as the example below shows:

      <Add>     
            <ServerId>23</ServerId>      
            <ParentId>0</ParentId>       
            <DisplayName>Journal</DisplayName>    
            <Type>11</Type>   
        </Add>
        <Add>
            <ServerId>24</ServerId>
            <ParentId>0</ParentId>
            <DisplayName>Junk E-Mail</DisplayName>
            <Type>12</Type>
        </Add>
        <Add>
            <ServerId>25</ServerId>
            <ParentId>0</ParentId>
            <DisplayName>Kladder
</DisplayName>
           <Type>12</Type>
        </Add>
        <Add>
            <ServerId>26</ServerId>
            <ParentId>0</ParentId>
            <DisplayName>Notes</DisplayName>
            <Type>10</Type>
        </Add>

Renaming this to “K” and back to “Kladder” did the trick and the Nokia Lumia 920 could synchronize the mailbox immediately.

About these ads

6 responses to “Windows Phone 8 – Outlook sync error code: 80070057

  1. Manny April 10, 2013 at 23:11

    Thank-you! Finally I found how to fix this. The logging piece is what you have to do.

  2. kbend May 8, 2013 at 16:02

    Thank you. I will link to this post from my own site. Helped a lot.

  3. Pingback: Exchange ActiveSync Error 80070057 | Kjartan's everythingblog

  4. Guillaume May 16, 2013 at 15:55

    I was looking for a solution during month !! It’s seems to be the good one, but in my case, I can’t renamme the folder because it’s the default “Contacts” folder…

    6
    0
    Contacts

    9

    An idea how to solve this ?

  5. Guillaume May 16, 2013 at 16:04

    I got it ! Just go to Options / Parameters / Regional and check the box “renamme default folder with local langue…”
    Thanks a lot !

  6. Pingback: Echec lors de la synchronisation des mails outlook sous Windows Phone 8 | Grain de sable

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: